office: 781-447-7375
fax: 781-447-9118

Frequently Asked Questions

Q:    Why should I support small businesses/companies?

When you buy from a small mom or pop business, your are NOT helping a CEO buy a third vacation home.

        You are helping a little girl get dance lessons, a little boy get his team jersey, a mom or dad put food on the table, a family pay a
        mortgage, or a student pay for college.

Our customers are our shareholders and they are the ones we strive to make happy.

        Thank you for supporting Small Businesses

        -unknown author-


Q:    I want to get a dog!  What breed is on the insurance company's "BAD" dog list?

All companies differ when it comes to dog breeds...but there are a few breeds to stay away from if you have the choice.  If a breed is mixed with another, and a company does not write that breed, then even a mix will be denied.  We do have a few companies who will take most any breed of dog as long as it is trained and does not have a bite history or is vicious.

    ***Airdale, American Bull Dog, Akita, Belgian Malinois, Boxer, Bull Mastiff or Mastiff, Chow, Dalmatian, Doberman Pinscher, German Shepherd, Giant Schnauzer, Great Dane, Husky, Kerry Blue Terrier, Malamute, Pit Bull, Rottweiler, Spitz, Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Wolf Dogs.***

Q:    What if I have a trampoline?

Most insurance companies will NOT write a homeowners policy if you own a trampoline...even with the netting surrounding it.

Q:     My neighbor's tree fell in my yard. Who's insurance pays for this?

A:     Unless the tree is dead and the neighbors was aware of that, your insurance - minus your deductible -       pays for the damage that was done. Be aware that any "vehicle", including motorcycles, snowmobiles,      trailers or watercraft, must have comprehensive insurance to to be covered for the damage. (Watercraft and trailers have small limits on them through your homeowner's policy.)


Q:    I have heard that it is now a law that when it is raining, we are to have our headlights turned on.  Is this true?  Will we be cited for not doing so?

A:    Effective April 7, 2015  the "Use of Headlights - MGL c.85 s.15"  has been amended by adding two new requirements. The requirement to turn on headlights AND taillights 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise has not changed.  Yes, you will be cited for this offense.

  1. Motorists are now required to turn on headlights AND taillights whenever the windshield wipers are on.

  2. Motorists are also required to turn on headlights AND taillights when visibility is reduced so that persons or vehicles are not visible at 500 feet due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions.

Q:    How do I cancel my auto policy?

Because auto insurance in Massachusetts is mandatory, it does not "run out" when the expiration date comes.  It will automatically renew and you will be responsible for any premium earned.  There are two ways to voluntarily cancel your policy with an insurance company.

  1. If you change agents, your new agent MUST send your old agent/company a 2A form.   Many times out of state companies such as GEICO and Progressive fail to do this, so it is a good idea to remind them.

  2. If you no longer want to insure your vehicle, you MUST turn in your license plates. You can:

    1. Bring them to your agent

    2. Bring them to the RMV and mail the receipt to your agent

    3. Go online, cancel your plates and send the receipt by, mail / email / fax, to your agent.  Click the following link to use the online process...Cancel my plate/registration

Q:    I received a cancellation on my auto insurance and I cannot pay all of it by the date given.  Is there anything I can do?

If you are in this situation, you should call our office...sometimes reducing some coverages, or changing coverage can help. You need to do this as soon as possible as the closer to the cancellation date you get, the more difficult it will be to help.

What you do not want to do is to let your policy cancel for non-payment.  If the company will not reinstate, then you are obligated to pay a years premium in full for your new policy.

Q:   Can I pay my bill online?

A:    Hingham Mutual/NLC can take your payment online.  To do so, please click Pay My Hingham/NLC Bill.   If you have an auto policy with Encompass, you CAN NOW pay online by clicking Pay my Encompass Auto Bill.

Q:    How does the SDIP system work?

A:    The Safe Driver Insurance Plan (SDIP) works according to a Point System.

Everyone starts at a "0" and then the Merit Rating Board credits or surcharges back 6 years.

If you are an experienced driver (over 6 years) and have had no violations or accidents in those 6 years, you will be a step "99", which is the best step possible. If you have 5 years without a violation, you will be a step "98".

If you are an inexperienced driver (less than 6 years) with no violations, you will stay a step "0" for those first 6 years.

Every moving violation will make a difference on your points. The first violation will take away your good driving step. Though you do not receive any points for the first incident, it can make a huge difference on your auto policy. You lose any credit you might have (usually between $75 - $200) and you usually go into another tier structure, which makes a difference in the entire policy. We have sometimes found it has made a difference of $400 - $500 for your policy just for the one violation alone!

Basically everything except a parking ticket is a moving violation. This includes no inspection sticker (or expired sticker), headlight out, loud exhaust. Anytime you receive an actual complaint and need to send in a fine (except a parking ticket) is a violation. After the first violation , if you receive another within the 6 year period , will count as 2 points.

Minor accidents (up to $1,500 damage) is 3 points.

Major accidents (over $1,501 damage) is 4 points.

Driving under the influence, driving to endanger or reckless driving is 5 points.

As you can see, these points can add up quickly, and every point above "0" adds approx. $75 - $100 onto your policy for 5 years!

Drive safe and be aware of the speed limits and road conditions at all times!!

Q:     My friend has a vehicle newer than mine but pays less for insurance, why is that?

A:    There are many factors that affect the rating of a motor vehicle policy...the town that you garage your vehicle in... the length of time you and all drivers of your vehicle have been licensed.

Not only does the year of the vehicle make a difference, the actual make and model changes with each quote. Multi cars on one policy, anti-theft devices, low mileage and drivers over 65 all make a difference.

If you have your home/tenants insurance with the same company as your auto, or even the same agency, usually will give you a discount.

Auto insurance is now competitive along with homeowners/tenants insurance. It is a good idea to review your policy with your agent on a regular basis, make any needed changes, and see what discounts you can qualify for.

Contrary to the popular belief, the color of the car (whether red, white or blue), makes no difference in the rating.